The VerMints Team on 11th Aug 2017
As frequent travelers we like to think we complied a nice list of helpful tips to make the process of flying from point A to point B slightly more enjoyable. If you have some health tips that keep you sane in-flight or before, do share in the comments below!
1. Hydrate. Should be a no-brainer, and practically every blogger, expert or airplane seat companion will state the same thing. Water is crucial. It’s crucial every day of the year in copious amounts, but especially in flying time. The air is so dry in airplanes – apparently the humidity level can be as low as 1% whereas the average humidity level from a room in your house can be as high as 65% - that’s a pretty big difference and all the more reason to keep those fluids flowing! However, you do want to stay away from drinks that dehydrate you further, so drinks like alcohol, coffee or sodas are a big NO. AND as a pro tip, make sure you bring your own reusable water bottle not only for environmental aspects and cleanliness, but also because the 6oz cups they hand out don’t cut it for those 12 hour flights. So, load up on good ol’ H2O prior, during and after your flight.
2. Nourish the skin. This second point goes hand-in-hand with Hydration. Obviously the more you keep your fluid intake up, the more your skin will stay nourished. But for a bit of assistance we recommend bringing a carry-on size of our favorite face/body lotion, serum or oil to apply once or as needed during the flight for some extra care and nourishment for your skin. I personally prefer to wash my face prior to boarding in the airline lounge then apply my serum, so as to not have to deal in close corridors of the airplane. Also, make sure to keep a tube of lip balm in your pocket for assistance as well. We personally love ECO LIPS.
3. Movement is key. Staying put for long periods of time decreases blood flow and can cause your legs and feet to swell, making you feel like your blowing up like a wood tick. You might be resistant to get up frequently, but with all the water you’ll be drinking you’ll be bound to make frequent visits to the restroom. Water for hydration and encouraging movement sounds like a good trick to me!
4. Healthy snacks. We’re big food people, so we always have our stock pile topped off. It’s important to keep snacks on hand for hunger cravings and help avoid those times when unhealthy food options are all that is offered. In the munch category, we try to avoid dehydrating food and pack those with some hydration properties, such as fruits or vegetables. However, these options aren’t always practical for longer flights, so granola bars, nuts and seeds are also a good bet. These are some of our favorites right now: RX Bars, Sunbutter and Shine Organics.
5. Sleeping with the new time zone. Another way to encourage good health on plane rides is to mirror sleeping times to your new time zone. Also, packing a neck pillow and taking a melatonin supplement to encourage sleep. It is also helpful to dress in layers – flights can change dramatically in temperature within the duration in air, so layers is a necessity.
Our kids love popsicles. The sensation of having something cold on a warm day is so refreshing and delightful. We’ve dabbled with the store bought ones, but reaching for homemade ones in the freezer is always our favorite. We’ve made elaborate tasty blends and simple flavor sweets. We are always looking for new ways to make popsicles, and we [...]
There is nothing like a cone of ice cream during a nice evening stroll after dinner during the summer. It’s so nice to walk around with something sweet and cool and enjoy the breeze after a hot day in the sun. And now at ice cream parlors there are so many interesting, tasty flavors, although the traditional flavors are [...]
Winter finally made the leap and switched to summer on the East Coast. Not sure where Spring was hiding? Nevertheless, Summer is here and its been hot since it arrived. And we love it. But it definitely changes things in the kitchen for us. We try to minimize our oven use as much as possible, because sweating when we [...]
Every year my kids always want to know what I want to do for Father’s Day, but we end up doing the same thing – it never changes. I love fishing. It’s one of those things I can do and totally relax. Typically, I can escape from anything that is stressing me out or that I need to [...]
Chocolate Chip Cookies are a family go to. Do you make chocolate chip cookies for Mother’s Day? Probably not, but those chewy center, crispy rim and chocolatey bursts in every bite definitely remind me of my lovely mother. Chocolate chip cookies is one of the first things I ever baked with my mum when I was little. Helping [...]
It’s soon to be May and we are very excited to celebrate Celiac Awareness month with the Celiac Disease Foundation and the Beyond Celiac Foundation. Celiac Disease is a “genetic autoimmune disorder where the ingestion of gluten leads to damage in the small intestine”. What this means is that when people with celiac consume gluten their immune response attacks the small [...]
Something we do with the kids every year when Easter is around the corner is dye eggs. I used to do it every year with my mother and siblings. The process of dipping, drawing and painting to create the most colorful, little ovals for our dining table center piece was such a delight. Although, cleaning up afterwards wasn’t received [...]
Spring has finally made it and we couldn’t be more thrilled. We really haven’t had a rough winter in the Northeast, compared to the monstrosity that happened two years ago, but we're excited for fresh, happy growth that spring brings. So many beautiful plants sprouting up and blossoming. Spring is one of the best times of the year, because [...]
Everyone is gearing up for the 2017 Super Bowl. Whether you’re hosting a party, going to a party or sitting at home in your lucky chair it’s gonna be a good one. Let’s talk about that lucky chair though. Superstitions are interesting - but do they actually work? Maybe. Do they work all the time? Who knows. But we [...]